So I get this email around 23:00 Monday the 26th.. from the boat in the US ( Serenity ) who uses the Venus for Jan-kees.
Darn what is going on on this boat ? So I quickly jump online and log into the VRM ( Victron) website and see that the BMV shows 12.3 V……so what the frell? Ok I’ll drive there Tomorrow morning.
Tuesday morning I arrive at the boat and find out, no 110V on any of the outlets, the fridge is dark. OH dear Oh dear. Open the hatch to the battery/ inverter bilge and the multiplus ( Victron 12/3000 inverter/ charger) is hiding all quiet and dark. OH darn …an inverter on the blink. I cycle the switch on/off and it starts humming and a led comes on….I see a charge current on the BMV and poof . …silence, the inverter goes back to the “You don’t see me mode”
Ok so I start testing……yes 110 v is there, yes, polarity is correct, yes 12V is there, so I have declare a code and pronounce the unit dead.
I call the US Victron rep, Justin, I get directed to voice mail jail. Fire off an email to him, and wait. I get a call back and Justin tells me to try a few other things, like DC connections. Well I already checked them, but to go with the flow, I disconnect them and reconnect……Same issue…Inverter turns on, a little bit later, a few seconds…..poof…”I go in hiding” the Inverter whispers. I share another email with Justin with screen shots of the Venus, and go home.
The next morning I get an email to please make sure the DC connections are ok, and if they are, Justin will second my medical opinion and declare the Inverter dead, and it needs to be sent to an authorized repair center to be fixed. Who says inverter can”t rise from the dead? Now having guests coming over for the 4th, the chefs family of the Pacific Kitchen, I kinda complain gentle to Justin and putting American customer service he hints that he can get me a temporary replacement unit, before that time. Darn such a guy deserve a beer or more. And an hour later, Justin calls…” I am trying to get it shipped today, so you have it Friday, worst case Monday. Plus you can either keep that unit, or you can get your original back”
Friday bright and early there is it a nice blue Victron box with the replacement, so Saturday morning we drive the hour to the marina, but via The Pacific Kitchen to have Dim Sum with Lam.
Arriving at the boat I decide to hook up the unit first temporarily with some longer cables. I flip the switch and what happens, the same !!!!!! I get worried, check the correct connections….YES…I run out to get a plug and box, so we also have a 110 V load. But same issue. Ok the only thing I have not changed is the 110V so I plug into another dock pedestal. Same problem. Well it means I have to schlep all home to see if the 110V at home is perhaps correct. The vacuum cleaner works, the fridge works, so I have no clue. Then it struck me, the only thing left is the cable to the Venus. I quickly get one of our friends to take one with them. I unplug the original RJ45 cabe and …the inverter comes alive…….ALIVE….it’s alive……I wait a bit and it runs perfectly. after 30 minutes I accept the unit is NOT dead. So it might be the Venus.. I log in and reboot the Venus with the previous Firmware. Inverter crawls starts playing dead again. I look to the release date and it shows the previous version is from the time the trouble started. So I make a setup with JUST the Multi, the Venus and a 12V battery and .a 110V lamp as load. With the Venus plugged in the Multi plays dead. Without the Venus the multi is alive and cheerful. I made a few pics to sent to Matthijs, and requested to install an older version of the firmware. Yes that will teach me to be one of the first ones. More to come….
Well on July the 4th I got the official word…”There was indeed a bug in the communication with Multis, which we fixed and it will become available as v2.08~8. Thanks for reporting!” So now we wait for the software upgrade and then see how it work, and take it to Holland.
On July the 6th Matthijs emailed the following :
Good evening all,
Today we have released v2.08~9 for testing. The change log:
v2.08~8 and ~9
– Add ModbusTCP parameter to read & write the ESS minimum SOC setting
– Fix a few bugs in the communication with VE.Bus devices (thank you Shannon and Jan for reporting). The main issue fixed is that it was impossible to switch the devices on or off, in certain configurations. These issues were introduced in one of the v2.08 test versions.
If you see any new issue, let me know.
Best regards, Matthijs
So now we have to insert the cable and see how or what, then we have to take it out and take it to Holland to install it in Jan-Kees.