A better Oasis

when we bought Jan-Kees we were told it had a 640 Liter water tank, the first work visit I installed a water sensor, since it was just voodoo guessing how full the tank was. The next improvement was installing a 24V pump with e remote switch. The only way the pump could be stopped was by pulling the fuse, but that could only be done by removing wooden panel between the living area and the front storage area!

The next improvement was connecting it to the Venus, so we could read out the level anywhere on the barge. BUT since the fill opening was just a hole on the top of the tank, it has happened a few times that the tank overfilled, because the person filling it was distracted. Now to defend that person (me), he is suffering from squirrel syndrome.

Because we never used the generator, and we have 1040 watt solar panels (4 of 260) . decided to remove it and use that space, so we could have 2 water tanks. Based on the space available, putting a tank on each side of the barge, and leaving a space for a bow thruster, I found 500 Liter tanks at Postma tanks which would fit. Talking to the previous owner I found out he put the old tank in place by opening the large hatch, and removing the front living area wall to the front storage area. Since Lars was going to remove the small broken hatch and make it a larger one I told him a size which would accommodate putting the tanks in that way, saving the hassle of pretty much breaking down the whole living area.

Making the front hatch.

cutting out the old hatch
Nearly finished

Once back in Zaandam I cleaned out the front hold and started

The tanks arrived, and after clearing the front area I started maneuvering that tanks in place to go ‘down the hatch’ . but…no luck…..the tanks could not get in…….the hatch, made by Lars was too small. Wait too small? mmm yes and no. The total opening size was perfect, BUT they added a U frame to divert any water, making the opening about 10 cm smaller !!!

Since Remy was coming to help me the next day and had some limited time, I decided to remove all the clothing storage, the bookshelves etc, all this on one of the hottest days in the summer. (This is also the day that I developed my hernia, leading to a ‘semi emergency liposuction, but that is for another entry)

removed the interior wall
making a floor for the tanks to rest on

The flange we got from pvc24.nl had a 25 mm diameter. When I ordered them I was not aware that that size is NOT a standard size you can get at Hornbach. So after ta trip to Hornbach we found a nearly fitting pipe, filled up the void with the white teflon tape, and wrapped the vulcanizing tape on the outside. Unfortunately, the pipe dropped quite quickly, and the only way to get fresh water was to drop a piece of tyleen directly connected to the pump in the tank. After calling the pvc24.nl I ordered 2 pieces of pipe the correct diameter. Unfortunately the vulcanizing tape was swimming in the tank, which later was sucked up by the pipe, stopping the flow, so after emptying the tank we were able to get it out.

I did added 2 floats in each tank, one to warn the tank is nearly full and the other 1 inch higher as a final warning ( which can also be used later to close the electric valves, which I am installing later)

Because of the hernia, I did not do much more work on the system, but in 2020 I will get the 2nd tank ready, connect both tanks with an electric shut off valve, so that the pump can pump from both, or by closing one valve we can also level the barge a bit.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s