back deck

The original “roef” was just not working out for us, it was awkward to get to the back, making it higher as a 2nd bedroom would have been a ton of work, plus trying to keep the diesel smell out of it, and keeping the steering cable and inverters easy accessible, so we decided to remove and lower it, make a walkout back and a seating.

Nearly Finished

Here is a picture from the back, when the welding was done, now finish seating and painting and adding lighting

Now that some painting is done, we needed to glue some wood strips to the back of the seat build up, so we have support for the 4 seat slats. First I wanted to make them from these recycled decking, but since this was the first time and considering the cost, I opted for some standard treated wood. Each piece I started with the center slat and lined it up with the center of the circle.

Then we added the pillows. Before we went on this trip, we looked int he internet for a company who could make these pillows, found one close by, but looking to the samples, Deb wanted something more fun. Luckily Sunbrella is made in the USA, so Deb found some great design, calling back to Naaldwijk, we found out they have to order and import it. So thanks to Amazon, it arrived 2 days later, and nestled itself in my suitcase, occupying 1/2 of the volume.
Once the seats were finally done, I called the company to give them the final measurements, helas, it would take 4 weeks now, because of the holiday, meaning….it wont be ready when Deb came back from Austria. Quickly called around locally and found a person who could make them in time. The cost was about 450 Euro higher, but it was pure quality. He even made sure the way the pillows would be attached to the railing matched perfectly.

Then we added the pillows. Before we went on this trip, we looked int he internet for a company who could make these pillows, found one close by, but looking to the samples, Deb wanted something more fun. Luckily Sunbrella is made in the USA, so Deb found some great design, calling back to Naaldwijk, we found out they have to order and import it. So thanks to Amazon, it arrived 2 days later, and nestled itself in my suitcase, occupying 1/2 of the volume.
Once the seats were finally done, I called the company to give them the final measurements, helas, it would take 4 weeks now, because of the holiday, meaning….it wont be ready when Deb came back from Austria. Quickly called around locally and found a person who could make them in time. The cost was about 450 Euro higher, but it was pure quality. He even made sure the way the pillows would be attached to the railing matched perfectly

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s