Thursday August 10
Waking up on the boat we see the relaxed scene, and you smell the cacao transports
Currently the sink runs the drain to a hull through, which is connected with a T and also serves the shower. Problem here is the top of the hull through is higher than the sink so draining is slow, plus when the shower pump works,
part of the shower water goes into the sink. In the past I have estimated that we could just drain the sink directly overboard with a hull through, and had Marius confirm it. So after also Daniel measured it, I was confident to dril a pilot hole into the side of the boat, once the pilot hole was through, I climbed on the side and saw that the hole was about 3 inches above water. Perfect thus. Grabbed the bigger hole saw and started drilling, until bang the drill flew out of my hand, one of the teeth of the drill was bent and had grabbed. so the guiding dril bit was bent.
So after replacing it, I started drilling even more careful, squirting enough WD40 to keep it lubricated, and got through. Together with Daniel we got the hull through in and I attached the hose to the sink and it drained perfectly. Only thing to do now , is to cap of the T for the shower drain.
Daniel worked some more on the diesel tank, we got the airvent in and the second wall through to the engine room.
We also got the hull through opened for the engine room bilge pump, there was a watering hose, together with duct tape and something glued to the outside, it took some work, but we managed to clear it, and now I was able to slide the nice reinforced hose with the whale bilge pump on.
In the same area we saw that the steering cable track was loose, so we bolted it back in place and the steering cable was laying on top now, protected…but wait for it……more about that later after the our goodbye’s from Oving1. We casted off, and made the turn, and bam very hard steering and hardly any movement in the wheel. I was able to coax back Jan-Kees to Oving1 while at the same time calling Daniel. We again attached to Oving1, and played with the steering wheel and all seemed to work. We added more lines to the bollards and pressed with the throttle. We went in the back and . the cable was laying on top af the guide, and getting in between the guide and the exhaust. We followed the cable and saw that the exhaust was attached to the track with a tie-wrap, which prevented the cable to rest in the guide and be protected. Once we cut the tie wrap, the cable snapped in place and ran smooth as a babies butt. We did our second set of goodbye’s and went on our way back to Dukra.
Deb ws at the wheel and life was PERFECT, we grabbed a glass of wine and a Hertog Jan and some Borrelnootjes. Bridges were going smooth, and there was the Prins Willem Alexander Bridge. We have ben under that one before, but I made the mistake of not paying attention and directed Deb to the normal’ starboard side. (coming from the north we had to go to the port side of the bridge. The side I was directing Deb to was slanted, so I pointed to the most left side of the bridge opening. Deb being more careful than I am approached very slowly and I walked to the front to measure the distance, and it was TOO low, Deb quickly did a full reverse, and manage to correct my direction mistake by getting away with only a small scratch on the aluminum profile of the solar panels. But it did put her in a very down mood. She took it way more badly than I did. Besides we do have insurance for these kind of things!. I took over the wheel and we had to do some maneuvering to get out of there.
Here you see the track of when we kissed the bridge
Here is the full track of the day
The rest of the trip was uneventful and the mooring at Dukra went smooth.
Later we met up with Coen from Oersjoch and went to the pancake house at the lock. We had a Mexican Pancake and a Boemerang.